Pages

Wednesday, June 28, 2017

Be Bold - A Coloring Devotional



Be Bold, a Coloring Devotional by Ellen Elliott is a book I was sent a complimentary copy to review for Tyndale Publishers. Here is my critique-

One day when I was feeling overwhelmed, I picked up this book for a morning devotional. To my surprise,  I was greatly comforted. The scripture verse was Nehemiah 8:10, which says the joy of the Lord is my strength, which compares choosing our outfit to choosing our moods. Initially, I disagreed with the author because I experience bouts of major clinical depression and become frustrated when people tell me to `snap out it` or `just get happy’. As a Licensed Therapist myself,  I find it insulting when people are so closed-minded about mental health.  As I was coloring the adjoining coloring page, my mind went into a free-association mode as I became childlike in my actions and thoughts. The facing coloring page allowed me to let go of my worries and stress.

This book is simple yet wonderfully therapeutic,  enhancing personal growth. Not only did the devotional coloring book lift the burdens from my shoulders, I look forward to using the book for daily devotionals. Reading a lesson for life, then pondering the message as I color. I become childlike,  and now understand more fully why Jesus said we must become like children to enter the Kingdom of heaven. I highly recommend this book for readers who want to surrender their daily worries to focus on God’s Word.

No comments:

Post a Comment