Pages

Thursday, January 1, 2015

Past Lessons from Jireh

My dog, Jireh, is a 10 month old PUPPY. She weighs 64 pounds and has grown so much that I forget she is still a PUPPY. I’ve been allowing her more leeway by not putting her in her crate and walking her without the gentle lead leash. The past week, she has chewed my leather Bible cover, two shoes, and Addy’s cat mat. She also has a tendency to want to run toward dogs, BIG pit bull dogs, just to say ‘hello’ while pulling me behind. Jireh doesn’t understand angry, BIG dogs have no interest in greeting a 64 pound golden retriever with a staggering lady running behind.

So I’ve been putting Jireh in the crate and making her wear the gentle lead. You would think she is being tortured the way she pouts! She looks like those sad dogs on the Humane Society commercials when I put the gentle lead on her. I can imagine her thinking I don’t love her anymore…

Truth is, it is because I love her that I restrain her from chasing mean dogs (trucks, trains, etc.) and will not allow her free access to electrical wires, medications, etc. When God puts restrictions on us, it is because He loves us and wants to protect us. We can pout, resist, and disobey, but we’re going to get hurt in the end. We need to remember God’s ‘no’ isn’t because He doesn’t love us… rather, it is BECAUSE HE LOVES US.




No comments:

Post a Comment