Pages

Tuesday, July 25, 2017

Growth Spurts

Newborn babies require regular medical check ups to monitor their growth process. If a problem is detected early, there is a greater chance the problem can be treated before further issues are presented. As adults, medical visits become infrequent,  and only needed when there is a significant aberration occurs.

While our physical health plateaus when we enter adulthood, our psychological health does not. In fact, life events can alter our mental health significantly. Without proper treatment, our physical health can be negatively impacted by things like ulcers, digestive problems, etc..

Life is about growth and change. We need to take regular inventories of ourselves to be sure our actions and decisions align with the person we are becoming.  Such questions which need to be asked include-

**What is the mission of my life?
**What are my values, dreams and priorities?
**Am I living authentically?
**Am I using my gifts to better society?
**Do I surround myself with people who positively influence me?
**What practical steps can I take to be more like the person I want to be?

Since these are heavy questions requiring great introspection, it is good to take some quality alone time and brainstorm what truly matters. Don’t limit your dreams- the sky is the limit. You’ll be surprised how resources will appear when you begin living on purpose.

1 comment:

  1. Oh my gosh, that is such an apt comparison - and a way to think about mental health as a relatable paradigm. Yes, frequent, frank assessment is the key to stopping a runaway train before it gains too much momentum. Why do the insurance companies fail to utilize preventative procedures in both physical and mental illness? What would happen if they worked WITH healthcare professionals instead of hampering them with limits to treatment and no access to new treatments? It's all about the bottom line I'm
    afraid...

    ReplyDelete