Pages

Saturday, February 17, 2018

Ways to Handle Opposition

You can "love thy neighbor" without going into their house.  Smile, wave, and keep walking. The Bible has so many verses on how to respond to enemies. By enemies, I mean those who distract you from following God, living for Christ, and keeping the peace. At the end of this post, I will list several verses to memorize when faced with opposition.

Of course, my first response is to fight back. I can hold my own in an argument, largely because the little girl in me has learned to keep walls up, not emotionally investing in people as I stay at home with writing, books, and God's Word. This has been my chosen lifestyle for most of my adult life, until my dad died a few months ago. My mother and brothers are extremely toxic to me, thus I assumed if my own blood can treat me so terribly, I have no interest in socializing.

My purpose here is to glorify God. He has gifted me with writing talent, Biblical understanding, and Spiritual guidance. Also, the older I get, the less ability I have to get out due to worsening of multiple chronic illnesses (both physical and mental). Inevitably, when I force myself to socialize, I poop my pants (Crohn's Disease), fall (Cerebral Palsy), and end potential relationships (PTSD, Major Depression, Agoraphobia).

God has convinced me it's His will I spend my days writing, reading, and worshipping while enjoying His undeniable peaceful presence. And I love that lifestyle.  I am immensely grateful He has made this possible for me.

Even though I gave up toxic relationships for lent, political actions including making changes to the Americans with Disabilities Act had me glued to social media. Well, I can officially say Facebook is dangerous to my health. Without the Lord reminding me "By this all men will know you are my disciples, if you love one another" - John 13:35, I stopped in my tracks, filled with shame and repentance from my thoughts, actions, and comments.

Satan knows each of our vulnerabilities. One of mine is injustice and prejudice, especially against people with disabilities. I was close to a meltdown yesterday... a full-blown  meltdown. The things I said to people were NOT filled with love. And my thoughts were pure MEAN!

When did I forget God will always be the  King of the world? (Natalie Grant).

I shut off Facebook, and remembered Joshua 1:8 - "Do not let this Book of Law depart from your mouth; meditate on it day and night, so that you may be careful to do everything written in it. Then you will be prosperous and successful.".

I remember the people bashing me, and ask God for His power to "Be merciful, just as your Father is merciful." Luke 6:36.

I  vowed to "Turn from evil and do good; seek peace and pursue it." - Psalm 34:14, knowing the Lord of peace himself will give me peace at all times and in every way (2 Thessalonians 3:16).

And with that, I learned to avoid godless chatter, because those who indulge in it will become more and more ungodly (2 Timothy 2:16). 

No longer will I engage in ignorant discussions. Instead, I call my Congressmen, express my concerns, and leave the rest to God. 

This will save both my time and sanity.

No comments:

Post a Comment