Pages

Friday, March 3, 2017

Aging with Cerebral Palsy



There aren't many older adults with Cerebral Palsy in mainstream society, which both bothers and concerns me. Where are they? Why aren't people living independently? Are they in nursing homes and institutions? Bedridden in family homes? Deceased?

My doctors and medical providers affirm I am an exception regarding aging with Cerebral Palsy.

Recently, I met two ladies with Cerebral Palsy and it was so nice to share experiences. They are a few years younger than me. Although Cerebral Palsy itself doesn't worsen, the effects damages the body much faster than people without C.P.. I explain it as having a new car with an old motor going up a hill. The exertion on the old motor causes parts of the car to fall apart. It seems age 35 is around the time when secondary conditions start, such as falling, dropping things, decreased ability to perform fine motor skills, weakness and tiring more easily.

Exercise is crucial to extending abilities as long as possible.  I try running every morning, and until I can figure out how to add video to this post, you can follow me on Instagram at Shellyedsfsu,  which is also my name on Snapchat. Follow me, introduced yourself. Oh, and you'll see lots of photos of my Assistance Dog, Jireh.

Until next time... live your self-determined quality of life. In other words, Be You!

1 comment:

  1. As a senior with Arthrogryposis I often wonder where all my peers are hiding!

    ReplyDelete