Pages

Sunday, January 28, 2018

All I Can Do with Disabilities


Watching figure skating reminds me of better days between my mother and me. We had tickets to watch the Figure Skating Tour with Kristy Yamuguchi, Scott Hamilton, Tara Lapinski, etc. to which I was beyond ecstatic! I still remember the sound of blades cutting through the arena ice, as the skaters glided smoothly on ice, dancing to classical music. Forever to be a favorite life memory.

The most memorable part happened a few days before the show, when my mother and told my aunt and grandmother she “was taking me to ice skating”. Note- we have lived in Florida since I was 4 years old.  My aunt and grandmother hesitantly asked my mother if she really thought that was a good idea as it had been years since mother had ice skated. They didn't question MY ABILITY to ice skate as I was expected to do anything I set my mind to… whether it be water skiing, snow skiing, mountain climbing, roller skating, and, evidently, figure skating.

I consider my Cerebral Palsy to be a little above moderate in terms of physical impairment. Fortunately, my stubbornness has always surpassed my limitations. Every individual is different in terms of abilities and potential. Labels (a.k.a. medical diagnoses) too often becomes more of a handicap than the disability itself!

At age 48, I find myself searching online and in society what to expect as my body is suffering from the repercussions of my brain damage on my muscles and organs. I wonder if sleeping 12 hours per day is due to aging with C.P.? How about the tightness in my chest after brief physical exertion?  Or difficulties opening jars, carrying coffee, and tightening my gas cap?

I will forever be grateful for being raised without limitations based on my disabilities for it led to a fulfilling quality of life. Now, my stubborn streak is not enough to defy the results of aging, and that is hard for me to accept. Even more frustrating is my childhood friends expecting me to do all the things I did as a child. I have been told things such as, “You never let your C.P. stop you before… what happened?”.

It's tough not to take such comments personally. I cannot convince them I am the same girl when they are seeing glimpses of a quitter.

All I can do is all I can do… I think I found a new personal quote, and even book title.

No comments:

Post a Comment